[asterisk-dev] 'IAX2 call variable passing between servers '

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Fri Aug 4 10:48:58 MST 2006

Jared,

I sure can. He's a first, basic scenario. UA-A wants to reach UA-B. We first execute a ChanAvail() application command to determine the location of UA-B. We then attempt to reach UA-B via the supplied IAX path. There's nothing too unusual about this. Lots of people are doing this.

 +------+           +-------+                          +-------+           +------+
 |      |           |       | DUNDi Lookup of UA-B     |       |           |      |
 | UA-A | - SIP --> | PBX-1 | -------- IAX2 ---------> | PBX-2 | - SIP --> | UA-B |
 |      |           |       |                          |       |           |      |
 +------+           +-------+                          +-------+           +------+

Now, when UA-B forwards a call that came from UA-A to UA-C, it sends a 'Moved temporarily' message back to PBX-2. PBX-2 re-enters the dial plan at this  point, looking for a new match for the forwarded call. It executes my AGI script again. Normally, the rdnis would be set, and the type of the call would be SIP. However, when the call has been trunked from another Asterisk system, the call type is instead IAX2, eventhough it should be SIP. As a result, because IAX2 does not convery rdnis, it gets lost.

 +------+           +-------+                          +-------+           +------+           +-------+           +------+
 |      |           |       | DUNDi Lookup of UA-B     |       |           |      | Moved     |       |           |      |
 | UA-A | - SIP --> | PBX-1 | -------- IAX2 ---------> | PBX-2 | - SIP --> | UA-B | - SIP --> | PBX-2 | - SIP --> | UA-C |
 |      |           |       |                          |       |           |      |           |       |           |      |
 +------+           +-------+                          +-------+           +------+           +-------+           +------+
                                                                                              ^                          ^
                                                                                              |                          |
                                                                                              +- Appears as an IAX call--+

A similar thing happens in the case of a transferred call. However, the dnid is set to the UA-B, and the extension is set to UA-C. Once again, because the call comes in as an IAX2 call, the dnid is lost.

 |      |           |       | DUNDi Lookup of UA-B     |       |           |      |           |       |           |      |
 | UA-A | - SIP --> | PBX-1 | -------- IAX2 ---------> | PBX-2 | - SIP --> | UA-B | - SIP --> | PBX-2 | - SIP --> | UA-C |
                                                                                              +- Appears as an IAX call--+

I'm not sure if these diagrams help much.... but it's a start. Does this make any sense?

Doug.