[asterisk-dev] Configuration for recording quality?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Aug 4 09:15:15 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 16:37 +0100, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> Jared Smith wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this list isn't the "I asked on the -users list, but
> > nobody answered" list.  This is not a court of appeals.
>
> Jared,
>
> So which list is? :)

At that point it may be time to hire a consultant. The more advanced
users, of which I don't know if I would still qualify as one, don't
usually have the time to wade through the -users list for interesting
messages. Some of the members of this list are still on the -users list.
Many times I have seen members here tell users that the answer doesn't
change when one uses a different list.

> Seriously, I think there's a gap in the Asterisk mailing lists for
> questions that are too advanced for asterisk-users, but which would
> clutter up asterisk-dev (like this one!)

The problem here is difficult in that the dev list is for development,
not user related issues unless we plan on tackling them with new code.
So when you make sure there is a good split between what is a
development issue and what is a user issue, how would you differentiate
what is an andvanced question from a not so advanced question? To a new
user, everything is an advanced question as it is at the edge of their
knowledge level or beyond. Once you have been in and around asterisk for
a while, most questions are simple and few are what you would considered
advanced enough to require more than a short amount of time thinking
about.

> I don't think asterisk-advanced-users is the answer as it would get
> traffic from more sophisticated new users who realise that they'll get
> better responses for their simple questions there than on
> asterisk-users. I'm not sure what the answer is.

The other problem you run into is that you have way too many people who
are used to instant gratification and would bypass the first level users
list and go to the advanced list. This would cause you to have two
places to look for and ask questions of which neither would actually be
of any use as it only served to split the community. Asterisk is not
knew to the popularity causing it to grow to a point where peer to peer
helping becomes problematic in a single mailing list.

Maybe look to other large projects to see how they deal with the shear
number of messages they must field from far and wide and maybe you would
have a better suggestion to offer.