[asterisk-dev] 'IAX2 call variable passing between servers '

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Aug 4 08:30:21 MST 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 10:46, Douglas Garstang wrote:
> Are you referring to the patch that addresses passing variables in IAX? As
> my posts said, that's not the only issue. A far more serious issue is that
> at the other end of that trunk, when Asterisk makes calls to SIP phones,
> and those phones transfer or forward calls, all new calls generated from
> those are flagged as IAX calls instead of SIP calls (they're SIP phones!).

Are they transfered over an IAX2 trunk?  Now they're IAX2 calls...  I am not
sure I understand the issue.

> Data such as rdnis and dnid are lost, which is critical to programming the
> behaviour of transfers and forwards etc. It's as if the initial trunk
> overrides all calls generated at the other end. SIP trunks don't cause this
> behaviour to occur. This is a really serious limitation, when you can't
> forward or transfer calls at the other end of a trunk.

If you're call path is SIP-SIP-SIP-SIP then sure, it's a SIP call.  If it's
SIP-IAX2-IAX2-SIP-IAX2-SIP... what is it?  I'm not so sure anymore.  What
about SIP-IAX2-IAX2-H323-SIP-H323-SIP-MGCP?

-A.