[asterisk-dev] 'IAX2 call variable passing between servers '

Steven critch at basesys.com
Fri Aug 4 09:41:04 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 08:46 -0600, Douglas Garstang wrote:
> Are you referring to the patch that addresses passing variables in
> IAX? As my posts said, that's not the only issue. A far more serious
> issue is that at the other end of that trunk, when Asterisk makes
> calls to SIP phones, and those phones transfer or forward calls, all
> new calls generated from those are flagged as IAX calls instead of SIP
> calls (they're SIP phones!). Data such as rdnis and dnid are lost,
> which is critical to programming the behaviour of transfers and
> forwards etc. It's as if the initial trunk overrides all calls
> generated at the other end. SIP trunks don't cause this behaviour to
> occur. This is a really serious limitation, when you can't forward or
> transfer calls at the other end of a trunk.

That issue isn't as serious as your lack of understanding that when the
call gets to the second asterisk machine, it SHOULD show new information
in those variables since as far as the second asterisk machine is
concerned the call is only from asterisk machine 1 to asterisk machine
2.

Would you like it if when my asterisk machine calls yours that I am able
to inject information into your dialplan?

As for your transfer "problem", if you let asterisk machine 2 know that
the outside portion of the call is SIP and it doesn't know that there is
an IAX link in the middle, if machine 2 does a transfer via SIP, you
will not get machine 2 out of the link. Machine 2 needs to know it is a
IAX call so it can possibly do a transfer back to machine 1 and then let
machine 1 do the outside call.

And yet this all still smells highly of a user question rather than a
developer question.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>