[asterisk-dev] Re: 'IAX2 call variable passing between servers '

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 08:30:35 MST 2006

In article <645FEC31A18FE54A8721500CDD55A7B6035D09EE at mail.oneeighty.com>,
Douglas Garstang <dgarstang at oneeighty.com> wrote:
> > From: Matt Riddell (NZ) [mailto:matt.riddell at sineapps.com]
> >
> > If you spent half as much time reading up on coding as you do typing
> > your complaints, you could have easily solved the situation by now.
> >
> > You have 2 choices:
> >
> > 1) Do the work yourself
> > 2) Pay for someone to do it for you
>
> No Matt. It's comical. This is exactly the type of situation that IAX2
> was designed for, and it doesn't do it very well. The very fact that I
> have to make modifications to the code to get IAX2 to work, but not SIP
> (yet), indicates IAX2 is falling far short of it's expectations.

What you're missing is that this is how open-source software works. It
solves the problems that the people who wrote the code wanted solved. If
you need to solve other problems with it, you are at liberty to add your
solution and so enhance the codebase.

> I don't see how this is complaining. I am trying to solve a problem, and
> given the lack of documentation out there, this is one of the few places
> to turn. I can't understand why it is that whenever I ask questions that
> are due to limitations in Asterisk, it's called complaining.

Well you haven't quite got the hang of this diplomacy thing. When you come
across the need for a feature that hasn't YET been implemented, you come
onto the lists dissing Asterisk for all you are worth, instead of calmly
stating what you are trying to do and asking for ideas on how you could
enhance Asterisk to do it.

Asterisk now does vastly more than it did when I first started using it
over two years ago. In another year's time, it will do even more.
Hopefully, some of those upcoming features will be a result of you
enhancing Asterisk to fulfil your particular needs, and submitting those
enhancements. It's a two-way street.

Cheers
Tony
--