[asterisk-dev] Configuration for recording quality?

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Fri Aug 4 06:57:37 MST 2006

snip

> On 8/4/06, Jan du Toit <jan.du.toit at decisionworx.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have recently posted a mail on the users mailing list, asking
around
> > how to change the quality setting of files that asterisk record for
you.
> > For instance change the 8kHz for meetme recordings to 32kHz.
>
> I don't think there would be any point (that is to say, any quality
> improvement) in recording at anything other than 8KHz at present,
> since all audio passing through Asterisk is sampled at 8KHz anyway. If
> you need 32KHz files for compatibility with another application, it
> should be fairly trivial to upsample the recorded files using a
> utility such as sox.
>
> -Rusty

There was a discussion about having the audio passed through * be at a
higher rate than 8k, thinking behind it was that the 8K limit is imposed
by the PSTN and VoIP does not exibit that inherent limitation. I do not
know of any endpoints that support a higher rate (>8k), it would be nice
to be able to use a High-Quality MeetMe room for a podcast-type live
discussion.

Will the incorporation of Video into a MeetMe room change this at all??