[asterisk-dev] HINTING, how it works... Please explain

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Thu Apr 27 20:53:31 MST 2006

Snip headers
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if the Dev community could help me out with a few
> answers to questions I am having a hard time getting info on.
>

> Firstly, is there a document describing HINTING and how it works so I
> can program a tool to monitor it?

It uses SUBSCRIBE so you should be able to Google for it.

> Also, I have noticed with my Grandstream phone.  They register with
the
> Asterisk Box, but if the Asterisk Box is restarted, it looses track of
> the registered phones wanting to know about the call process...
> How is hinting suppose to deal/recover from this.  Are the grandstream
> phone suppose to re-register every 15min or some configurable value,
as
> to recover from this?

Asterisk holds the 'hint' info in memory and does not write it to the
DB, so if a restart occurs, you will loose the  information about the
state of the channel that supports hints. Not a bad thing as the
devstate would be idle after a reboot. The phone would then 'subscribe'
to the events once it re-registers and informs the hint engine that it
is subscribing to the state or events of that given channel. Once the
channel state changes it sends a NOTIFY event to the sip phone letting
it know.

You can also look at:
http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-roach-sip-subscribe-notify-00.t
xt