[asterisk-dev] AST_FORMAT_AMR anyone?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Apr 26 12:43:32 MST 2006

Tim Panton wrote:

> I feared that.
> (special pleading: There are probably more AMR licenced devices out
> there than
> any other codec.)

But they are not VOIP devices, so they don't communicate with Asterisk
directly.

> Failing that....
> How about a wildcard codec, so we can at least not use
> ones that will get allocated, or a 'meta' codec with some formal extension
> mechanism.

The codec numbers are not relevant except for over IAX2 frames. Over RTP
the codec number is assigned by the IANA or randomly assigned from the
dynamic number pool.

> Erm, given Digium's ability to sell the 729 codec, any chance
> Digium would be licensing AMR (also from voiceage)?

We don't license G.729 from VoiceAge any longer (haven't for a while).
If customers demonstrate adequate demand for AMR, I'm sure we would
consider it.