[asterisk-dev] Re: Command Syntax -- weird?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed Apr 26 07:35:17 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 20:38 +1000, David Taylor wrote:
> What appears to be missing is a clear understanding of what Asterisk is
> today; what it could be; and how to bridge that gap.
> Design and direction are not strong.
> The Unix kernel and other leading Open Source projects show how it *can*
> be done.
> They are open, but they also have strong leadership.
> They are 'open' in *so many* ways.
> Those who want to get involved in the internals can.
> And, those who just want to use it can do just that.
> It just works!

I think the design is great. It is rare that major changes need to be
made to the overall design. Changes are made primarily at the edges.

I think we are regaining our strong leadership. Kevin and Russel are
stepping up in ways Mark used to, Olle is doing a lot to push us in the
right directions, plus a few others have stepped up to tackle big
problems.

We haven't blocked anyone from getting involved in the internals. I
think however that the ease of getting into asterisk has led to more
people coming in and not trying to meld with the current developers
before sticking their foot in their mouth regarding changes that "must"
be made.

I can promise you nearly everyone here has other job responsibilities,
even those with digium jobs. If the feature or problem doesn't
significantly disrupt their work, it gets backburnered till it becomes a
stumbling block. If it is a sumbling block for you, patch it yourself or
pay someone to patch it for you.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>