[asterisk-dev] Re: Command Syntax -- weird?

David Taylor dtaylor at dtayls.com
Wed Apr 26 03:38:56 MST 2006

Peter,

I've read everything in the thread with interest.

You appear to be one voice of reason in a sea of ... 'others'.
Congratulations.
Good luck with the crusade.
Unfortunately, I think you'll need it.

Asterisk needs consistency.
Asterisk needs usable documentation.
And, as you've pointed out, these are sadly lacking today :-(

And, as you've pointed out, Asterisk also needs the (good) technical
developers ... many of whom who have given you a hard time :-(
But unfortunately, it seems that most can't see the bigger picture.

What appears to be missing is a clear understanding of what Asterisk is
today; what it could be; and how to bridge that gap.
Design and direction are not strong.
The Unix kernel and other leading Open Source projects show how it *can*
be done.
They are open, but they also have strong leadership.
They are 'open' in *so many* ways.
Those who want to get involved in the internals can.
And, those who just want to use it can do just that.
It just works!

I fear that soon you will give up your crusade.
I did very early on.
Since I have lurked in hope.

Again wishing you all the best with your crusade,
David.