[asterisk-dev] DTMF detection and generation code

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Apr 24 10:12:30 MST 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Vahan Yerkanian wrote:

> Ideally,
>
> I'd like to see a possibility to specify system-wide or per-peer DTMF
> settings, something like this:
>
> dtmfduration=200 ; duration in msec, dtmfduration=0 for variable length
> rfc2833count=15 ; number of packets sent, scales both start/stop events
> rfc2833style=sipura ; even more fine tuning, mimic vendor implementation
>
> This might make our lives much better DTMF-wise IMHO and if we get
> enough interested people we could even start a bounty to get this done?
>
> regards,
> Vahan

Actually,
	I think that Kevin's VLDTMF branch, which can accurately detect
the length of a DTMF Keypress and will eventually be able to send RFC-2833
Continuation packets will make many of these RFC-2833 problems go away.

One of the things that I have found is that most vendors do not implement
jitter buffers for RTP Events (which are different from RTP Audio) so
Asterisk's rapid fire RFC-2833 can cause all sorts of issues. It's fairly
well detailed on the Bug Tracker and was a significant subject during the
Developer's conference call last week.

                             KP-216-121-ST