[asterisk-dev] 404 from SIP qualify packets

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Apr 24 01:18:12 MST 2006

22 apr 2006 kl. 11.08 skrev Steve Hill:

> If you have a SIP server set up as a peer with qualify turned on,
> Asterisk sends OPTIONS packets like:
>
> OPTIONS sip:example.com SIP/2.0
>
> I noticed in the SIP debugging that this causes 404 packets to come
> back from one of my peers - is it legal to make an OPTIONS request
> without a username part? I.e. isn't it required to send something
> like:
>
> OPTIONS sip:foo at example.com SIP/2.0
>
> (in the first example, wouldn't the peer assume that "example.com"
> was an unqualified address and qualify it to
> "example.com at example.com"?)

You can send options to any SIP uri. Usually an OPTIONS without a
username part is sent to a proxy to check whether the
domain-server is up and running.

For asterisk, we don't really care about the answer, we just need an
answer. So the 404 is a valid answer for us, even
though it doesn't look good if you read the debug logs. If a device
is registred with us, we send OPTIONs to the contact
URI registred with the REGISTER request.

/Olle