[asterisk-dev] DTMF detection and generation code

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Sun Apr 23 12:31:01 MST 2006

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
> If this is the case then these applications will not work for calls from
> a cell phone.  These applications also will not work for calls from many
> larger PBXs.  I think Steve's problem is that he does not believe that
> anyone would write applications in such a way that they will not work
> with calls from cell phones.  I agree with him.

Eric,

What I meant was that currently Asterisk's DTMF duration is quite short,
if I'm not mistaken it's 800 samples or 100ms, and sometimes it gets too
mangled due to jitter or lost packets to be successfully detected.

Increasing the number of the redundant outband dtmf packets sent
increases the chance of receiving a sufficient amount of them to be able
to reconstruct the DTMF tone. As Asterisk is used all over the world
with different phone line qualities etc, it is worth making a
configurable option for the this.

On the same time, if Asterisk replaces an existing PBX, customers might
have previous habits/experience on how long they have to press the
keypad buttons for their bank's IVR and how long for a home answering
machine's pin. Those durations might differ - hence the need of DTMF
duration accuracy.

Vahan