[asterisk-dev] DTMF detection and generation code

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Sun Apr 23 01:19:30 MST 2006

Greetings all,

Are there any plans or even chances for DTMF detection and generation
(inband, rfc2833 and info) code being looked at and rewritten/fixed?

There have been lots of discussions about the DTMF mis detection and
generation due to implementation difference between Asterisk and several
vendors, notably Linksys/Sipura/Cisco, Wellgate, Addpac and others.

Since Asterisk 1.0.x this is a known issue, and is still an issue.

I've been using Asterisk for the past 2 years and dealt with lots of
installations and gateways, but the DTMF problem was always there making
the Asterisk systems not reliable 100% for DTMF-related scenarios (IVR /
pstn gateway outband->inband dtmf translation).

Areas to be improved are configurable DTMF tone duration(vldtmf
branch?), better rfc2833  compliance and more flexible detection code.
I'm sure that there are lots of people who have spent hours trying to
find the sweet spot and can contribute to this thread.

Currently these are the related open tickets:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5970
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6667
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6027

Please reply to this thread if you think you can help with anything.

Thanks for your time,
Vahan