[asterisk-dev] autoconf_and_menuselect branch

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Apr 19 10:40:50 MST 2006

Andrey S. Pankov wrote:
> But I ask again: do somebody need _working_ autotools
> support in asterisk or not?

That certainly is the plan.

> Current branch code doesn't build at all on e.g. FreeBSD.
> It is not buildable on other systems as well. The only
> supported platform is Linux. Are you OK with that?

It works fine on my mac as well.  On FreeBSD, I have been told by someone that
autoconf, for example, is installed as "autoconf259" with no sym link of
autoconf to the installed version.  This would make the bootstrap.sh script we
have not functional.  I have very little experience with FreeBSD so we just need
someone to tell us what bootstrap.sh needs to look like to work on this platform.

Is this the problem you are referring to, or is there something else?

> There are lots of problems even in Linux support.

I have your email about the autoconf support related to chan_h323.  I'm sorry I
haven't been able to address them yet.  If there are other things that you see
that are wrong, please continue to let me know and I will address them as soon
as I can.

> Russel, do you need some help? It seems like you started
> ignoring my emails with suggestions. :(

I absolutely appreciate all of your help.  I still have all of your emails with
suggestions in my inbox.  The issue for me is that I am a full time student with
semester projects coming to conclusion right now.  This is really keeping me
from concentrating on this as much as I would like.

After the loader changes are complete, this branch is going to get some
immediate attention.  We know that some things probably won't work correctly
right away, but it's mostly due to our inability to test on all of the supported
platforms.  We will likely be putting it into the trunk close to how it
currently stands, and then put out the fires as fast as we can.

Thanks for the help,

Russell