[asterisk-dev] iLBC packet loss concealment (was: code-cleanup concerns)

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Apr 16 06:33:08 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Sunday 16 April 2006 04:05, Matt Ranney wrote:
>

>>My users tell me that Skype sounds better than asterisk even when
>>going to the PSTN, but I think this might be because the headsets
>>they are using just sound better than their Cisco 7940 handsets.
>>

>the iLBC codec used in Skype is the wideband variety; it *is* better than
>PSTN.

Skype is certainly better than the PSTN when going Skype to Skype, but
why do people think it sounds better than the PSTN when going to the
PSTN? Is it just psycological, or are they using an environment (e.g.
headset) that just sounds better than their usual phone? Having they
been using a Cisco 7940 with G.729, where a real PSTN to PSTN connection
would sounds rather better? I find it an interesting comment that Matt made.

Steve