[asterisk-dev] code-cleanup concerns

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 10:13:46 MST 2006

On 4/15/06, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

> > so (and with a little competition from projects like freeswitch) -
> > it's getting better, but is still way too painful (unless you are
> > already used to the pain of trying to get a arm patch into glibc, for
> > example). There are a bunch of out of tree modules that are
> > effectively unowned now (format_mp3, chan_bluetooth) and a few worthy
> > ones (like steve's fax work) that need some love from asterisk central
> > and more testers...
>
> Nothing that matters to the majority of users, and fills the mailing
> lists and IRC channels with problems - things like:
>     - robust echo control
>     - robust jitter management for all media streams
>     - proper codec dependent handling of PLC, plus use of my generic PLC
> by all media stream
>     - robust carriage of FAX across the PSTN interfaces
>     - T.38
>
> really appear anywhere significant on the Asterisk development radar,

sure, quibbling over infinite loop syntax is like shifting deck chairs on
the Titantic (perversely I say why not just #define FOREVER for(;;) ?)

and making modules better is fairly trivial when there are way bigger fish
to fry like jitterbuffers and plc.

The amount of useful traffic on this list is at an all time low, and it's
very painful reading the bugtracker...

Perhaps the new concall thing (
http://www.asterisk.org/developers/conferencecalls/april-18-2006) will make
things better.

I have some patience with where asterisk is at because it's still young as
projects go and still breaking new ground everyday, and:

A) I've been through things like the XFree86 -> x.org transition, the linux
kernel mess->bitkeeper->mess->git transition, and the glibc svn transition.
All of which sucked heavily. I turned my back on graphics in 2003 entirely.

B) I don't have any major patches of my own in the asterisk queue, and am
not willing to try for any that I care about as that would raise my blood
pressure significantly.

C) Most of the patches that I need are in test-this-branch. Olle's been very
responsive.

I'd be happiest with the 1.4 release date if it were based more on a quality
metric than a date metric.

things like:

the paid-for features in the release (which I assume are things like jingle)
the top 90% of support questions by volume resolved by this release
world class sip/rtp support (jitterbuffer/plc/fax)
clear roadmap for the missing bits (sip tcp for example)
cleaned up process for stability fixes
test scripts and test tools incorporated into the release
people using oprofile/etc to improve scalability

--
Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge