[asterisk-dev] code-cleanup concerns

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Apr 15 09:08:26 MST 2006

Mike Taht wrote:

> On 4/15/06, *Steve Underwood* <steveu at coppice.org
> <mailto:steveu at coppice.org>> wrote:
>
>     I think you might be a little confused. The primary goal of Asterisk
>     development is to make the patches in Mantis rot, until their
>     developers
>     finally get tired of updating them and cease all contributions to
>     Asterisk. I thought everyone here knew that.
>
>     Regards,
>     Steve
>

> Up until the switch to svn at the beginning of the year the situation
> with getting patches into asterisk was unbearable.
>
> Now, at least, with olle's test-this-branch, there's something of a
> linux-mm thing happening, which has broken some but not all of the
> bottlenecks. I would love to see asterisk get on a 6-8 week
> development cycle similar to that of the one of the kernel, with some
> sort of explicit contract to the frustrated developers - "OK, your
> patch is going into the mainline on the next cycle, be ready")
>
> so (and with a little competition from projects like freeswitch) -
> it's getting better, but is still way too painful (unless you are
> already used to the pain of trying to get a arm patch into glibc, for
> example). There are a bunch of out of tree modules that are
> effectively unowned now (format_mp3, chan_bluetooth) and a few worthy
> ones (like steve's fax work) that need some love from asterisk central
> and more testers...

Nothing that matters to the majority of users, and fills the mailing
lists and IRC channels with problems - things like:
    - robust echo control
    - robust jitter management for all media streams
    - proper codec dependent handling of PLC, plus use of my generic PLC
by all media stream
    - robust carriage of FAX across the PSTN interfaces
    - T.38

really appear anywhere significant on the Asterisk development radar,
while....

> At the same time, when there are major architectural changes happening
> (like the changes to the loader), it's hard to keep everything working
> without maximum breakage. I did take a look at the roadmap laid down
> at last year's astricon and felt a lot better about things (see
> http://www.sineapps.com/news.php?rssid=139 for details).... perhaps a
> review of where all this is at is in order:

.... absolutely everyone absolutely needs a new loader. :-)

Regards,
Steve