[asterisk-dev] The Asterisk bug tracker :: please think twice before opening a report!

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Apr 5 11:31:07 MST 2006

Friends,

At this point, we're close to 300 issues open in the bug tracker
at http://bugs.digium.com

Some of us spend many hours each week,
if not each day, to work with the bug tracker. It's a tool for us, a
very important tool to handle new features
and find bugs in Asterisk, tracking them down.

It is important that you consider a few things while using this tool:

- If a bug marshal closes your report, do not re-open it. If you want
   to discuss the action, use the #asterisk-dev IRC channel or the
asterisk-dev
   mailing list. If you continuosly re-open a bug report we close,
   you will get a karma reduction.

   Other bug marshals may disagree and re-open the bug report, but
   don't do it yourself if a bug marshal directed you to take the report
   or discussion somewhere else. You will only annoy the bug marshals,
   doing no good for you or your cause.

- The bug tracker is not a support forum. Do not open a bug report to
ask a
   question. Do not open a bug report to get help with your
configuration.
   The asterisk-users mailing list and the #asterisk IRC channel are
   good places for this, as is the Asterisk web based forum.

- If you open a bug report, make sure you respond quickly. Most of the
   people working on the bug tracker are contributing their own time
   to work on the issues. Make sure that you assist them while
   they are working to solve your issues.
   If you do not respond, the report will be closed regardless of
   the importance. We simply can't proceed without your feedback.

- Feature requests is better discussed on the mailing lists.
   If you open a feature request on the bug tracker, it will
   be kept open for a few days. After that, it will be closed but
   not erased from the database. It's still reachable, but not
   in the list of open issues. Feature requests in the bug tracker
   seldom lead to new code. Better to find a developer, pay
   for new code and contribute that.

IF YOU REALLY HAVE A BUG OR A NEW FEATURE
Please do use the bug tracker to report bugs!

Don't be scared of the amount of open bug reports.
If it is a bug, it is a bug and we need the report.

First, remember to
- Read the bug guidelines and follow them
- Try to locate an existing bug report for your issue

Please help us testing new features, please help us locating bugs.
See if you can make a bug reported in the bug tracker to show up
on your system and report that fact. Some bugs are hard to find, and
we need help finding out if a bug can be repeated or not.

Thank you for your assistance and understanding!

Asterisk bug marshals and developers
through
/O

---