[asterisk-dev] chan_skinny fixes

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Apr 4 09:42:37 MST 2006

Andy Powell wrote:
> I'm sorry but that is just wrong in so many ways. . version control and backward
> compatability are DIFFERENT things.

The backwards compatibility he is referring to is that of different
versions of the API that must be supported in the same version of the
code.  When you have an out of tree module, you  have to do work to
ensure that it builds against and loads into various release versions as
well as the development branch.

When a module is in the tree, the current state of the code is just that
it reflects the current API.  There is no reason that we have to make
sure the chan_skinny in the svn trunk can be copied over into the 1.2
branch and have it work properly.  There is a different chan_skinny in
the 1.2 branch that reflects that API.

Backwards compatibility between versions of Asterisk such that
configuration doesn't break and that communication is still possible
(such as a 1.2 box using IAX2 to communicate with a machine running svn
trunk) has long been a priority in the Asterisk project, and will
continue to be.

Russell