[Asterisk-Dev] Licensing of Application over Asterisk

Steven critch at basesys.com
Mon Sep 26 01:25:42 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 12:37 +0530, Amit Dang wrote:
> Hi All,
>     My question is related to Asterisk licensing. If I add an
> Application over Asterisk using Asterisk Application API will it also
> come under GPL?
> According to my understanding it should also come under the GPL
> license. Is that correct?

If it is compiled using header files that come from asterisk and/or get
linked to asterisk, then yes it must be GPL. You may however purchase
licenses from Digium to exempt you from that GPL requirement.

If you are using AGI, you aren't linking into asterisk nor compiling
with asterisk headers, so you are exempt.

Of course a little bit of research into the past threads on licensing
would probably have answered that question.
--
Steven Critchfield
critch at basesys.com
KI4KTY