[Asterisk-Dev] Echo cancellation on GPU

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Sun Sep 25 13:15:49 MST 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Modern GPUs are on the AGP port, or on a dedicated northbridge
> connection. Latency concerns are valid though, for sure.

Forgive me whilst I display my ignorance, and enlighten me:

I've heard it said often on the list that echo cancellation must be done
in the kernel - as close to the arrival of the bits as possible.

Now I understand that for echo can to work it needsa really consistent
delay - after all the whole point is to substract from the incoming signal
the computed estimated echo from "just the right length of time ago".

But what I don't understand is:  why not just timestamp the arriving audio
as it arrives in the kernel, provide that timestamp back to userspace and
use that remembered timestamp in the algorithm rather than the actual time
now?

Steve