[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk and GlobalCall

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Thu Sep 22 01:32:26 MST 2005

On 22 Sep 2005, at 08:33, Kristian Nielsen wrote:

> "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> writes:
>

>> The fact is that the libraries used as part of the Intel/Dialogic
>> Global Call API are NOT licensed in a way that makes them compatible
>> with GPL software. As such, there cannot exist a channel driver for
>> GPL Asterisk that connects to those libraries, unless Intel chose to
>>

> Well, there would be no (licensing) problems in writing a GPL'ed
> channel
> driver for the GlobalCall API; the source for such a driver would
> not be
> considered a derived work of the Intel libraries just by accessing a
> published API. However, such a driver would only be distributable in
> source form, not in binary form (since the binary would be a derived
> work of both Asterisk and Intel libraries). That would make it
> somewhat
> inconvenient to work with.

No, I think it is worse, there is (AFAIK) _no_ published API.
GlobalCall .h files are _licensed_ too. That's what Kevin was saying.

> But I am more curious about the technical feasibility of using the
> GlobalCall API to write a Dialogic channel driver. When I worked with
> GlobalCall (a few years ago admittedly), the only way to get audio
> from
> the card was dx_rec() and friends, and our Dialogic support told us
> that
> the minimum supported buffer (and hence latency) on that was two
> _seconds_, which is just totally ridiculous.
>
> So has that changed in resent GlobalCall releases, or was support
> giving
> us bullshit?

I did some playing with this for the GJTAPI project, and if you
substituted
your own custom I/O system (I forget the call), the latency was
acceptable.
So I think support were wrong - but then again it could be card
dependent.