[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk and GlobalCall

Kristian Nielsen kn at sifira.dk
Thu Sep 22 00:33:14 MST 2005

"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> writes:

> The fact is that the libraries used as part of the Intel/Dialogic
> Global Call API are NOT licensed in a way that makes them compatible
> with GPL software. As such, there cannot exist a channel driver for
> GPL Asterisk that connects to those libraries, unless Intel chose to

Well, there would be no (licensing) problems in writing a GPL'ed channel
driver for the GlobalCall API; the source for such a driver would not be
considered a derived work of the Intel libraries just by accessing a
published API. However, such a driver would only be distributable in
source form, not in binary form (since the binary would be a derived
work of both Asterisk and Intel libraries). That would make it somewhat
inconvenient to work with.

But I am more curious about the technical feasibility of using the
GlobalCall API to write a Dialogic channel driver. When I worked with
GlobalCall (a few years ago admittedly), the only way to get audio from
the card was dx_rec() and friends, and our Dialogic support told us that
the minimum supported buffer (and hence latency) on that was two
_seconds_, which is just totally ridiculous.

So has that changed in resent GlobalCall releases, or was support giving
us bullshit?

 - Kristian.

Kristian Nielsen   kn at sifira.dk
Development Manager, Sifira A/S