[Asterisk-Dev] Questions

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Sep 21 20:17:53 MST 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Brian K. West wrote:

> If I read this right this is ABE only and locks anyone wanting to use
> Asterisk with Dialogic cards would have to buy an ABE license.

Yes. Hence my comment about ensuring that Digium will have additional
revenue.

> This also takes away the freedom of being able to really make a flexible
> solution based on Asterisk because you don't get the source code that
> ABE is compiled with thus you're stuck.

Sure, you'll lose flexibility, but most applications where this will make
a lot of sense will be converting from legacy applications that should
translate easily into the plethora of ways that you can do something with
Asterisk without having to worry about building from scratch.

In a SOHO environment, I just don't care about having to compile my own
Asterisk binaries, or extending the focus to new, exciting and potentially
show stopping things.. I'd much rather have a consistent, known platform
that I do not have to spend as much time maintaining being used within the
scope of what it is designed for.

But that's my two cents work.. use the right solution for the right
reason..

                             KP-216-121-ST