[Asterisk-Dev] Questions

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Sep 21 12:06:38 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:36 -0400, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Brian K. West wrote:
>
> > http://www.voip-magazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=490
> >
> > Makes ya wonder.
>
> About what?
>
> Looks like a hell of smart move IMHO! Brings Asterisk to a larger
> audience, makes it work w/ more hardware and provides Digium w/ some
> alternative revenue streams that will help them keep food on the table for
> the families that they employ.
>
> Also opens up the entire Dialogic market to Asterisk now. For me, this is
> good news, because several of my customers already have Microsoft based
> voicemail solutions (both MS-DOS and Windows based) that become targets
> for Asterisk.

I doubt it will open up that market. Not that I don't hope that it does.

> More users = more bug fixes = better product = more users = more bug fixes
> = better product....

Yes, but for every good user who contributes, how many more do we get
that are worse than leeches? I am both happy and sad about this new
release. Happy that Digium and support around are more likely to make
the money they deserve, and sad by what this may mean to my inbox.
Luckily Digium and support are of slightly higher preference to my
inbox.