[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk 'stable'?

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Sep 14 13:31:45 MST 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:36:00PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> well. take a look at FreeBSD. In that project they have feature
> freezes and then stabilisation. When bugs are reported, they get fixed.
>
> In Asterisk, bugs are not fixed. People are rather told to "upgrade
> to latest CVS to see if the problem persists"

As I recall, in one particular bug that you wanted fixed, the developer
told you to upgrade to CVS because the fix was too difficult to trivially
back port to the 1.0.x series.  He (the one apparently with the knowledge
to fix it) said that if you would like it back ported to 1.0.x that you
could pay him for it.  So, back to your argument, in order to do what you
want and make asterisk "stable", you, as a contributing member of the
Asterisk community, have two options:

A.) Pay him to have it backported.

OR

B.) Learn to fix it yourself.

Remember, you aren't working with a single party that is responsible for
maintaining your "Asterisk happiness".  Asterisk is like a big service
project.  People do what they want to when they want.  If you can figure
out how to "properly motivate" them to fix boring things that take a long
time to do (in this case, backporting) you might have a little more luck
getting your fix in 1.0.x.

--
Matthew Fredrickson