[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk 'stable'?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Sep 14 13:33:09 MST 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> In Asterisk, bugs are not fixed. People are rather told to "upgrade
> to latest CVS to see if the problem persists"

Complete and utter bullshit. I've had plenty of issues that I've opened in
the Bug Tracker get addressed in a timely manner, and I didn't have to pay
a dime to get them fixed. If you have issues that have not been addressed
in a specific version, stop whining on the list, and go pay Digium to fix
your specific issues. Otherwise, shut up, roll up your sleeves and fix the
code yourself.

As an example, at ClueCon, I asked Mark about a memory leak, he gave me
some pointers on tracking it down, and within about 15 minutes he had a
patch committed to both CVS Head and 1.0-stable branches. That is an
extreme instance, but my general experience has been that the Developers
on this list that participate at a high level in the Asterisk community
are committed to finding and fixing as many bugs as possible, and they do
it because they have a pride of ownership in the code they write.

If Asterisk doesn't fit your needs, and the development is not what you
expect, then go use Yate or SipX. Just stop complaining every couple of
months about the same issues over and over.

                             KP-216-121-ST