[Asterisk-Dev] config mgmt plan?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Sep 14 14:06:22 MST 2005

Woody Anderson wrote:
> Is any verbiage available on the asterisk config mgmt plan? From
> reading posts, I gather that cvs-head is the current development
> effort, so right now that means cvs-head is version 1.2 (please
> correct me if I'm full of hooey). Are all bug fixes being applied to
> the head, or is there a branch for fixing 1.0.9 (for example) in
> isolation of the 1.2 changes? This would be of great benefit for those
> deploying * to a production environment. Bug fixes on the 'stable'
> branch would periodically be merged down to the 'development' branch,
> presumably after some regression testing. The effort to do this is not
> too great, especially since we're using cvs. I have some experience in
> this area if there is any interest.

There is a great deal of information on this topic available on the
wiki, on Asterisk.org and in the list archives. Asking about it here
will only get you snippy responses :-)

However, saying 'the effort to this is not too great' is a complete
falsehood; the two Asterisk branches have diverged so drastically at
this point that many fixes for one branch don't have any relevance in
the other, and if they do they have to be done differently due to code
restructuring and/or redesign. There are very few cases where bug fixes
can be easily 'merged' into both branches.