[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk 'stable'?

Sherwood McGowan madprofzero at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 20:36:03 MST 2005

Just wanted to add my $0.02 on this...

Greg Boehnlein said:

"My opinion is that Asterisk, as it was originally designed, I.E. as a
low-volume PBX replacement has done a fantastically stellar job of
overchieving."

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly. I have several thousand customers
running per switch on a national voip provider, and asterisk is doing an
absolutely fantastic job. Keep in mind that Asterisk is supposed to be a PBX
or lowvolume Gateway. Now think of it serving thousands of users. Sure,
there's problems sometimes, but 98% of our complaints are with the NAT
problems of SIP, not with our server itself. Asterisk is an absolutely
fabulous piece of software that is very very good at what it's designed for,
and does a fairly sure job of doing what it's not supposed to be. There's
bugs, but they're being worked on like mad, and for the software to have
gone as far as it has is a nod to Open Source Software supporters.

A big hurrah to the coders. I cannot wait until my professional and/or home
life allows me the time to spend more effort on helping to code this
product. You gentlemen and ladies are doing a fantastic job.

My $0.03, actually, had a couple too many pints today.

Sherwood McGowan
Asterisk Zealot and Administrator