[Asterisk-Dev] I need help to make a simple iax switch/proxy

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Sun Sep 11 19:28:43 MST 2005

Steve,
 I was enquiring:
  is it a protocol problem,
  or an implementation problem,
  or both.

Your letter does not suggest a cause of the various problems. let us do
the developer thing and have a healthy debate about the real problem.

In my opinion:
Having carefully reviewed the asterisk IAX2 implementation
   (which I used to explain the finer points of the protocol)
and having written a C++/cross platform/OPAL based IAX2 implementation,
I am of the view that the quality issues you describe are implementation
difficulties. There is nothing (in my view) in the protocol that can
explain the distortion and cutoff issues that you report.

Specifically, more threads are required to make the asterisk IAX2
implementation work nicely. One thread is required to transmit packets
that have been assembled by the generating thread,
and a second thread is required to receive packets (but not process
packets) from the remote nodes. With more threads, the asterisk IAX2
implementation will work nicely on a multi CPU box under load.

You see, implementing IAX2 as is done is asterisk is unfortunate, cause
there is a serious bottle neck at the reception and transmission of
packets. The receive thread has to do reception and decoding of the
packets, leaving insufficient time to do correctly receive all packets.

Derek.