[Asterisk-Dev] Question about RTP port usage

Jerris, Michael MI mjerris at ofllc.com
Sun Sep 11 10:14:03 MST 2005

From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Bryan
Field-Elliot
  We are using Asterisk 1.0.9.

In rtp.conf, we have:

rtpstart=20000
rtpend=25000

We only have around 500 SIP clients per server (not the 2,500 which the
above settings could theoretically support). But our server, over time,
keeps growing and growing the number of UDP ports in use. Using "lsof",
we see another pair of ports get opened around every minute. My
questions are:

1. Is this normal, or is there a leak somewhere?

2. After all 5,000 ports are opened, will Asterisk start recycling the
ports already opened previously, or will it run out of resources for new
calls?

It Will run out of ports.  There is currently an open bug in mantis for
this.  I do not beleive that cvs head currently exibits this behavior
but you would have to test to be sure.

Mike