[Asterisk-Dev] Ring requested on channel already in use

alan alan at pair.com
Fri Sep 9 06:52:04 MST 2005

James Sizemore <james at deny.org> wrote:

> If I had to guess you also log cdr's to a database and your database
> server is slow for some reason, Asterisk will not hang up a call till
> the database query finished, the telco will only wait so long for an
> acknowledgment from a hang up and disconnects it's end and tried to use
> the same channel for the next incoming call, hence your reported error.

We were using the MySQL CDR addon, but that was the first thing I turned
off when we started having this problem. Unfortunately, it made no
difference at all. We've never seen significant load on our CDR database
server; that machine is dedicated to CDR and phone provisioning duties
only (dhcp, tftp, http, named).

We have since started seeing all of the symptoms of the problem
("nothing works" until Asterisk is restarted) except the "Ring
requested" log warning, so I believe this is just another symptom of
some other problem, and not the problem itself.

Our SIP REFER transfers have been very unstable, and seem to be directly
related to this issue. So, I'm trying to see what's going wrong there,
and also attempting to get asterisk # transfers working as an
alternative.

Alan