[Asterisk-Dev] I need help to make a simple iax switch/proxy

Goldenear goldenear at free.fr
Tue Sep 6 03:50:54 MST 2005

Hi,

I would like to make a small iax switch/proxy (I don't know which term
is better). The need is very simple: a proxy small enought to run on a
linux based wifi router (wrt54g) and/or simple enough to support many
simultaneous peers. It doens't need all the bells and whistles of
asterisk (many protocol support, voicemail, codec translation, etc ...).

It simply needs to:
- authenticate users (and keep a registered peers "database"): This is
similar to what asterisk does with iax.conf (or realtime database),
except that a phonenumber/extension would be directly given to a user in
the iax.conf like file. As it's a simple proxy, it doesn't need complex
call routing.
- connect users: each registered user could call an other one either by
its given phonenumber/extension or by its user name. As the proxy
doesn't support codec translation, all peers must have a least a common
codec. If the proxy can't make a native codec bridging between the
peers, the call is aborded. Also the proxy should always try to do
native transfer (with a option to drop the call if it's not possible).
When peers are "connected" and speaking, the proxy should (or must) not
stay in the path.
- maintain an online users directory (with the possiblity to publish a
web page), a little bit like the h323 ils system.
- register itself to an asterisk server (or a other iax switch/proxy):
This would be useful to define a default gateway if an extension doesn't
exist localy.
- make coffee, but only when all other features are working ;)

I hope you understand what I would like to do. Alas, I'm not a
programmer. I only have a few C basis (php is the only language I really
know). That's why I really need help. I guess I'm not the only one
interrested in an iax2 softswith/proxy. I think such a project could be
useful in many cases (e.g. be used as an asterisk frontend for iax
peers, like SER can be for sip peers). Also, I guess that, using libiax,
it should not be too complicated / time consuming to do for a real
programmer :)
So I hope somebody will be interrested in this project and can help me.
I can even offer $100 as a bounty for it :)

Any comment / suggestion is welcome

Thanks.

regards,

Nicolas