[Asterisk-Dev] Open G.729 / G.723.1 update, fixed memory leak

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Sep 4 15:18:19 MST 2005

On Sunday 04 September 2005 18:06, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I never suggested that Digium's codec stops working permanently - I just
> said it stops working - that is not FUD, it is something they have
> deliberately chosen to implement.

Actually no, it's part of their license agreement with the patent holders of
the g729 codec.  An agreement which you most certainly do not have, which
puts your implementation of the codec into potentially risky waters, legally
speaking.

> I am not discrediting that, just pointing it out so people can make an
> informed choice about which codecs they use (and which implementations
> of each codec).  The smart thing to do is obviously avoid G.729 if
> possible.

Well if you're going to help people make an informed choice, make sure that
you give both sides.

Your implementation is most certainly not legal in North America, and I'm
almost certain that it's questionably legal in .co.uk.  You *do* post this at
the bottom of your page, which I feel is very, very good, although it also
feels like the old anarchy text "legalizer" texts:

"To use G.729 or G.723.1 you may need to pay a royalty fee. Please see
http://www.sipro.com for details. Please note that this code is available for
you to download for education purposes only and if a patent exists in your
country for G.729 or G.723.1 then you should contact the owner of that patent
and request their permission before executing the code."

Essentially you're saying "I'm gonna give you all the code to use, donate
$here if you please, but I can't be held liable for the work I've done."

I'm genuinely interested if this is enough to protect you from the lawyers, as
it seems an enormous loophole.

-A.