[Asterisk-Dev] Open G.729 / G.723.1 update, fixed memory leak

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 15:06:52 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Sunday 04 September 2005 12:49, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>

>>Digium offers a binary implementation of G.729, but they don't give you
>>source code and they lock it to your PC's MAC address (so if you blow an
>>ethernet card, the codec stops working).
>>

>And you can re-register the codec once without human intervention so no,
>Virginia, your codec won't stop working.
>
>If you blow two NICs you can call them and they can allow further
>re-registrations.  Stop spreading FUD.

I never suggested that Digium's codec stops working permanently - I just
said it stops working - that is not FUD, it is something they have
deliberately chosen to implement.

I am not discrediting that, just pointing it out so people can make an
informed choice about which codecs they use (and which implementations
of each codec).  The smart thing to do is obviously avoid G.729 if possible.