[Asterisk-Dev] T.38 source code

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Sep 2 08:19:35 MST 2005

Florian Overkamp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone tried the T.38 source code at
>>> http://www.ionidea.ua/oss/asterisk/
>>

>> I haven't tried this code, and I don't know if it works. However, be
>> aware that it is trying to do something that is of little value to
>> most Asterisk users. Most people want either passthrough for use with
>> ATAs or a PSTN gateway. This offers neither.
>

> In your observation, what _does_ it offer then ?

It offers a TKPT link between a TIFF file on an Asterisk machine, and a
remote machine. Very few remote machine support TPKT, and as far as I
know not a  single ATA does. It is, therefore, pretty limited from that
point of view. Most people have asked for T.38 passthrough or a T.38
PSTN gateway, rather than TIFF to remote machine. This software provides
neither, so again it seems pretty limited from a practical point of view.

Regards,
Steve