[Asterisk-Dev] Re: asterisk/include/asterisk utils.h,1.46,1.47

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Oct 31 11:44:42 MST 2005

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> The following fails with gcc 3.4.4 as well, for t defined as [u]int{8|16}_t,
> on FreeBSD at least.

The initial answer from the GCC community is just as you proposed;
because the platform's ABI can only pass 32-bit quantities by value,
then the function's prototype is implicitly converted into 'int' or
'unsigned int', which generates the warning.

Personally I think this warning is bogus, since it is not a failing the
source code, but an artifact of the platform's ABI and optimizations,
but I don't have time to pursue it with the GCC team (which may very
well be a futile effort anyway <G>).