[Asterisk-Dev] Converting the Asterisk code to autoconf

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Oct 26 14:58:17 MST 2005

Rob Thomas wrote:

> Unfortunately, Digium can't easily link to other people's GPL stuff due
> to the dual licencing deals they have - as soon as they distribute (eg)
> ABE with autoconf, then ABE is GPL'ed, which I'm sure digium doesn't
> want.

What are you talking about? Do you know how the GNU autotools work at all?

Using autoconf does one thing and one thing only: it puts a huge shell
script into your source tree, called 'configure'. There is absolutely no
license issue whatsoever, since it is not incorporated into the
resulting products of the build. The same is true for automake (which
produces a GNU makefile) and libtool (which is also a huge shell script).