[Asterisk-Dev] Converting the Asterisk code to autoconf

Rob Thomas rob at wpm4l.com
Wed Oct 26 14:37:02 MST 2005

> There is one issue that I would like to see improved.  Currently
> the top level Asterisk source contains more than 100 files and
> a single static makefile.  Like so many other quality OSS packages
> this should be placed under GNU's autoconf, and a more hierarchical
> file organization should be in place.

Unfortunately, Digium can't easily link to other people's GPL stuff due
to the dual licencing deals they have - as soon as they distribute (eg)
ABE with autoconf, then ABE is GPL'ed, which I'm sure digium doesn't
want.

However, OpenPBX,org, which has forked from Asterisk, is apparently
working on autoconf.

--Rob