[Asterisk-Dev] Converting the Asterisk code to autoconf

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Oct 26 14:48:02 MST 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 16:33, telephony at jonjay.com wrote:
> There is one issue that I would like to see improved.  Currently
> the top level Asterisk source contains more than 100 files and
> a single static makefile.  Like so many other quality OSS packages
> this should be placed under GNU's autoconf, and a more hierarchical
> file organization should be in place.

This has been discussed many, many times in the past and I'd invite you
to search the archives on this topic.  Basically, it comes down to the
fact that everybody who has volunteered to do this in the past has
disappeared within several months of volunteering to do this.  There are
no core developers who know autoconf/automake, and we aren't willing to
make the jump without some assurance that there will be people around to
support the changeover long past that date.

Basically, we've been burned before, and we're reasonably cautious about
being burned again.  If the programmer you're hiring to do this is
willing to stay around for 3-5 years, to support it, that might become
an option again, but we haven't seen that type of commitment from
anybody who wants autoconf/automake.

--
Tilghman