[Asterisk-Dev] Developers wanted

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Oct 24 11:53:39 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 19:13 +0100, Senad Jordanovic wrote:
> asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 18:06 +0100, Senad Jordanovic wrote:
> >> DEVELOPERS NEEDED
> >>

> >> Bicom Systems has been offered a contract to implement an independent
> >> private voice network based on our SWITCHware products
> >> to serve as alternative to local ILECs services. This is initially to
> >> include about 100 cities in a major country then to expand
> >> world wide in the latter half of 2006.
> >>

> >> As a result we are looking to employ a number of developers to
> >> expand our development team with following requirements:
> >> 	Excellent experience in Linux, Apache, MySQL, C and/or PHP with
> >> appropriate verifiable references
> >
> > How can you take a business seriously when they want to use MySQL.
> > MySQL is the MS Access of the OSS world, you use it when you need
> > something small and quick done, but you upgrade when it becomes
> > mission critical.
>
> This business opportunity is serious, real and it is here hence our posting
> to this mailing list. This just further confirms asterisk popularity and
> readiness to be implemented at large scale(s).

I didn't doubt the seriousness of the offer. I just have deep
reservations of putting mysql into anything mission critical ever again.

> As for MySQL comment, SWITCHware uses a local copy of MySQL at each location
> per blade server with replication done at regional/state/country level(s).
> This gives as opportunity to implement archiving of data
> and to use another database for other levels if that becomes necessary.

At least it sounds like your doing a decent job of architecting your
systems. Eventually you may come to the same conclusion as I about mysql
and choose to swap out the DB for something better.