[Asterisk-Dev] ztcfg and wctdm/wcfxo

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Oct 11 14:47:28 MST 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 04:28:51PM -0500, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:49 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> > > Theoretically yes, but it would be duplicating what ztcfg does in that
> > > case, and ztcfg handles configurations that have nothing to do with
> > > Asterisk as well.
> >
> > For wcfxo and wctdm much of ztcfg's work involves parsing and
> > validation. When you do that at span registration time you already know
> > channel numbers, span number and type of channel (according to the
> > capabilities).
>
> Ahh, but it doesn't know. It knows the type of channel at module load
> time, but it doesn't know signalling. If it can't interact with
> userspace, your only option is to pass it in on the module load line.

For most people the default of ks will work. As for fxo vs. fxs: this is
something that the kernel module does know.

Suppose I add a module parameter for defualt sig type (g/k/l . any
actual need for gs?), would that solve the problem?

> Maybe you should make a better case as to why we shouldn't run ztcfg
> instead of offering reasons to add code to working software.

The case:

1. Need to run ztcfg in the first place. Complicates setup unnecesarily.
2. What happens if you can plug in hardware without shutting down the
box? (hot-plug PCI, wcufb, whatever)

> > > Why does what need to know... chan_zap? How else could it properly
> > > participate in the signaling if it didn't know what the channels were
> > > configured for?
> >
> > Query zaptel?
> > If you know the channel you can know its signalling, right?
> >
> > Should there be any reason to give in zapata.conf a different signalling
> > than in zaptel.conf?
>
> How would chan_zap know which side of a PRI I want to signal if it only
> sees B channels or D channels? It wouldn't, that is userspace
> signalling. Why are you wanting to special case cards that comply with a
> well tested API?

It only works well if channel numbers don't move.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com