[Asterisk-Dev] ztcfg and wctdm/wcfxo

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Oct 11 14:28:51 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:49 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:22:49AM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> >
> > >Theoretically it could, right?
> >
> > Theoretically yes, but it would be duplicating what ztcfg does in that
> > case, and ztcfg handles configurations that have nothing to do with
> > Asterisk as well.
>
> For wcfxo and wctdm much of ztcfg's work involves parsing and
> validation. When you do that at span registration time you already know
> channel numbers, span number and type of channel (according to the
> capabilities).

Ahh, but it doesn't know. It knows the type of channel at module load
time, but it doesn't know signalling. If it can't interact with
userspace, your only option is to pass it in on the module load line.

Maybe you should make a better case as to why we shouldn't run ztcfg
instead of offering reasons to add code to working software.

> > >Anyway, why does it need to know the signalling of each channel?
> >
> > Why does what need to know... chan_zap? How else could it properly
> > participate in the signaling if it didn't know what the channels were
> > configured for?
>
> Query zaptel?
> If you know the channel you can know its signalling, right?
>
> Should there be any reason to give in zapata.conf a different signalling
> than in zaptel.conf?

How would chan_zap know which side of a PRI I want to signal if it only
sees B channels or D channels? It wouldn't, that is userspace
signalling. Why are you wanting to special case cards that comply with a
well tested API?