[Asterisk-Dev] Zap OK?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Oct 4 08:07:20 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 16:46 +0200, Sergio Serrano wrote:
> In this moment, we have thought do the next:
>
> 	1)Linux-HA that control asterisk is OK
> 	2)Do a new application that checks SIP and IAX like sipsack and
> checks Zap Lines.If some of these check fails, this application sutdown
> automatically and linux-HA must control this application. So with linux-HA,
> asterisk and this new applpication we can have a robust asterisk-HA system.

I can see Linux-HA helping in IAX and SIP, or any VoIP protocol where
you can step in without a wiring change and act like the downed machine.
I don't think you will be as happy with it using Zap Channels or any
other phone lines that rely on the wire connection.

> I have seen that zttool monitors zap channels and with something like that I
> can checks that Zap lines are OK. But I have seen that Junghanns QuadBRI
> aren't monitorized by zttool and I would like to know if there is other way
> to test Zap Lines. Once this software is ready we publish to open source.

With ISDN and T1/E1 channels, you might find Linux-HA lacking as it
can't jump in and take over the line to finish providing the services
like you can with VoIP protocols. That is an additional problem that I
didn't cover in my comments on your last pass through this problem.

On the telco side, you may have a perfect link level, but you aren't
passing traffic. I have a TE410P card that will come up and show no
alarms, but it refuses to bring up a D channel and therefore cannot pass
calls. So part of your "heartbeat" will need to see if a call can be
routed out and probably be routed back in to you so you can see with no
uncertain terms that the call was able to complete. The call length need
not be any longer than to fire off the received call heartbeat and
disconnect.