[Asterisk-Dev] ast_xxx function..?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sat Oct 1 01:44:23 MST 2005

>> IMHO this looks like a small call to a function cleaning up a
>> string.  It really can't do much of a performance
>>  penalty, can it?
>>

> It would not be huge, no, but it's not zero, and we already get
> enough complaints from people about performance :-)

well, AFAICS, the performance issues in asterisk aren't really on a
per/invite per second, but more of a concurrent calls per sec since
asterisk needs to gateway all this, even if not transcoding. tuning
the INVITEs and REGISTERs would be good for stuff like SER in which
they've already done this, but then I don't beleive asterisk would be
able to compete with SER in proxying anyway. Asterisk's strong side
is support for lots of strange stuff, so being able to deal with
fscked up clients should be yet another feature for asterisk...
IMHO.......

roy