[Asterisk-Dev] Require Help in Detection of Human Voice or Answering machine on Called telephone number

Richard Lyman pchammer at dynx.net
Fri Nov 25 11:11:37 MST 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Matt Riddell wrote:
>
>> Muhammad Asim Sajjad wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> i am very thankfull to you on this helping material but i require more
>>> help in this regard.
>>> My problem is that i want to know how can i detect that the Human of
>>> Answering machine is connected with my called phone number.
>>>

>> BackgroundDetect or MachineDetect - really a *-users question though.
>>

> BackgroundDetect plays a message while listening for DTMF, so that's
> not what he wants.
>
> MachineDetect waits for silence, but doesn't really differentiate
> between live and recorded voice, so that's not what he wants.
>
> Differentiating between live and recorded voice is a very hard
> problem, possibly impractical. Nobody has yet succeeded in producing a
> meaningful version of such a function. This is most definitely a
> developer issue, but probably not one that will result in an effective
> solution.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

actually it can trigger 'talk' based on silence duration. (not just dtmf
triggering)

years ago i wrote the agentlogin doc series, final i did was agentlogin3.rtf
in that one there is a section that shows what *basic 'hello' detect
would look like
<>
exten => 1,1,BackgroundDetect(nothing|500|300|1050) ; nothing is a 3 sec
blank file
; the 500|300|1050 is a simple
; approach to detecting a<>
; “hello”

which can be simplified to this nowdays.

exten => s,10,BackgroundDetect(silence/2|500|300|1050)

impractical, maybe. but it's better than nothing.