[Asterisk-Dev] Echo cancel on PRI

Tue Nov 22 10:54:12 MST 2005

imran ahmed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following link
> http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=faq#Echo_1
> says that there is no echo on PRI.
>
> If so, then does it make a difference to have an onboard echo
> canceller if all I am going to be using is PRI lines. May be some VOIP
> channels later on.
> Please advise.

The PRI itself does not create echo. But ATAs and analog lines in the
PSTN my generate echos. Usually, if the distances are small (local and
national calls) the echo is too fast to hear it. Thus, telcos do not
apply echo cancelers. But if one side of the call is using VoIP, there
is additional delay. Thus the delay of the echo is getting bigger and
people will notice the echo. Thus, echo cancellers will be useful.

regards
klaus