[Asterisk-Dev] Action item :: Check if your patch is up to date!

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Nov 22 09:33:03 MST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:42:22PM +0100, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> If you have a patch that is "patch-on-hold" for post-1.2 in the bug
> tracker, now is a good time to make sure that your patch
>
> * is up to date with the current CVS head
> * is documented with comments, doxygen if needed and sample configs
> * is formatted according to current coding guidelines

actually, before asking people the 4th or 5th update of their
patch, especially if it is an extensive one, I would like to receive
a bit of feedback from the committers or bug marshals on their
plans.

I can imagine there being 100's of open issues in the bug tracker
that need handling, and committers have to set a schedule, even a
rough one, of things that will be committed soon and things that
will not get in before a month.

E.g. speaking of my personal case (but i am sure others have similar
issues):

#4584	channel.c ast_waitfor*() cleanup/speedup
	it has been open and in discussion for 6 months. I
	just updated it this morning, and it is the third rewrite.
	Hopefully we won't need another one ?

#5675	[patches for review/feedback] [post 1.2] say.c rewrite.
	this is fairly new but has not had any review so far.

#4377: [patch] [post 1.2] improved loader
	unreviewed for 6 months.
	This is hopefully well described in motivations and implementation,
	so an architectural review could be done even without having
	code that compiles with today's asterisk.
	On the other hand, it is fairly extensive in terms of code,
	so it would be a shame to waste time on updating the patch
	just to discover that it will not be acceptable or will not
	be committed soon.

Please bear with us :)

	cheers
	luigi