[Asterisk-Dev] Install destination on Solaris

Chris Parker cparker at segv.org
Thu Nov 17 20:18:26 MST 2005

On Nov 17, 2005, at 6:28 PM, Stephen Uhler wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> I'm just testing out asterisk-1.2.0 on Solaris, and apart from
>> finding a
>> couple of Makefile compatibility issues (oops, should have does
>> this before
>> 1.2.0 was released, but assumed other Solaris people would have
>> looked at it -
>> patch being submitted to bugtracker shortly), I've noticed that
>> someone has
>> snuck in a change to the install destination for Solaris, which
>> I'm not in
>> favour of, so I'm asking here for some ideas for the best way to
>> fix this.
>>
>> On linux (and all other platforms except Solaris), asterisk ends
>> up in:
>>
>> 	/etc/asterisk/
>> 	/usr/lib/asterisk
>> 	/var/lib/asterisk
>> 	/var/spool/asterisk
>> 	/usr/sbin
>> 	[etc]
>>
>> On Solaris (now), it ends up in:
>>
>> 	/opt/asterisk/...
>> 	/var/opt/asterisk/
>> 	/etc/opt/asterisk/
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Simon
>
> These are the "official" locations on Solaris, for a package named
> "asterisk".
> This has been the standard (on Solaris) for at least a decade.  I
> believe
> that Asterisk should comply with platform conventions where
> practical, and
> this is one of those times.

How about no.  Or do end-users not have any input?  :)

Make it configurable as Simon suggests.  Then I can install it where it
makes sense to me, and others can install it where it makes sense to
them.

"Because that's how we've always done it" always fails to impress me as
a good reason for anything.  If there is an actual compelling reason
to do so, sure.

> Stephen Uhler
> Sun Microsystems

Chris Parker
A Sun Microsystems Customer

--
    \\\|||///  \   Chris Parker    -   Segmentation Fault ( core
dumped )
    | @   @ |    \   http://www.segv.org     |    cparker at segv.org
oOo   (_)   oOo  \